It is not always fat that increases your weight. The culprit can be water too. Isn’t it surprising? Water gets retained in the body for a variety of reasons which leads to an increase in body weight and gives the body a bloated look. However, there are many effective ways to lose water weight. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Increase your water intake- This seems to be a very unusual suggestion when your aim is to remove the excess water from your body. However, this is very effective because the more you drink water, the more fluids get flushed out of your system. Drinking water prevents dehydration which is the main reason why the body retains fluids in the first place. You should sip water instead of swallowing it all at once. This does not allow your belly to swell up. Atleast eight glasses of water need to be consumed daily to flush out the excess fluid.
- Reduce your salt intake- Any kind of salt storage in the body leads to water retention. We usually consume sodium through our meals. The salt which is used as preservative in canned food, sauces and salad dressings is excessive and very harmful for the body. These food items should be avoided as much as possible and the daily salt intake should be reduced to decrease water weight.
- Exercise regularly- Sweating while exercising is a good way of losing the excess water that is stored in the body. You can lose upto two litres of fluid by exercising for an hour depending on the intensity of the exercise that you choose. This is a sureshot way of losing water and reducing the water weight along with increasing your fitness. You can also add a sauna session to your exercise. The extra heat can make you sweat a lot and your body’s water content can get drastically reduced.
- Get adequate sleep- A good night’s sleep is essential for the body to maintain the salt and water balance. Sleep helps the body to control the hydration level and reduces the chances of water retention. You should sleep for atleast eight to nine hours so that your body can maintain itself.
- Increase your potassium intake- The excessive sodium that you consume on a daily basis leads to water retention which can be counteracted with a steady intake of potassium rich foods. There are various food items like bananas, spinach, tomatoes, tuna, potatoes, greens and grapefruit which can be consumed regularly to manage the sodium levels. Once the sodium levels are in check, the water weight reduces immediately.
- Consume more caffeine- Caffeine is something that most people consume every day in the form of coffee, tea, soft drinks, etc. These beverages are called diuretics because they reduce the fluid level of the body and suck the extra water. You should increase your consumption of these beverages but care should be taken to balance this consumption with a proper water intake as these diuretics are known to cause dehydration if consumed in excessive quantities.
- Reduce alcohol consumption- If you consume alcohol on a daily basis or in large quantities, then your body can become totally dehydrated. To compensate for this dehydration, your body stores excess water which then leads to bloating and increase in water weight. To prevent such a situation, you need to cut back on your alcohol consumption.
- Consume fiber rich food- Roughage helps to flush out the toxins and waste from the body. It helps to keep the urinary tract clean along with the kidney and colon. Eating cereals, oatmeal, flax seeds, steamed or raw vegetables helps to remove the excessive fluid from the body. Fresh fruits like berries, grapefruit, papaya, mango and orange contain a lot of fiber.
- Control your stress level- Taking a lot of stress can increase the level of the cortisol hormone in the body. This can influence the level of another hormone which is known as the antidiuretic hormone or the ADH. The ADH controls the water balance of the body by giving signals to the kidney re-absorb water. If the water retention increases, it automatically increases the body weight. To prevent this from happening, you need to control your stress levels and remain calm.
- Cut down your carbs- Carbs get stored in the body in the form of glycogen which attracts water and leads to an increase in the water weight of the body. Carbs can also lead to an increase in the level of insulin in the body which in turn leads to sodium retention and re-absorption of water by the kidneys. A low carb diet can prevent all these problems and can help to immediately reduce the water weight of the body.
These are just a few effective ways to lose water weight which you can try out to get instant results.